I have recently completed work on a new book, Rhythm in Acting and Performance, published by Bloomsbury, Methuen Drama in July 2017. This text examines the ways rhythm has and is being used by performers, directors and trainers in the contexts of acting, theatre and performance, including historical studies, contemporary examples and interviews. Orders can be made through the Bloomsbury website, https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/rhythm-in-acting-and-performance-9781472589866/, and short sample and more details can be found by clicking the link below
BOOKS AND ARTICLES
- Rhythm in Acting and Performance: Embodied Approaches and Understandings. London: Bloomsbury, 2017
- ‘The Ins and Outs of Tempo-rhythm‘ in Stanislavski Studies, Issue 4, 2014, p. 146
- ‘Collaborating in Time: The Formation of Ensemble Through Rhythm’ in Encountering Ensemble (Ed.) John Britton. London: Bloomsbury, 2013.
- ‘Looking for the Empty Spaces – The Ensemble Theatre Practices of John Britton‘. in Total Theatre Magazine, April 2009.
- ‘From Pulse to Polyrhythm: Commonality and Diversity of Rythm in Acting and Performance’ at the III Jornadas Internacionales el Ritmo en las Artes, Universidad Nacional de las Artes, Argentina. To be published in 2018 in Revista VIS: Universidad de Brasilia, November 2017
- ‘Tuning: Preparing to Perform Gaudete with OBRA Theatre Co’ presented to the Performer Training Working Group at TaPRA 2017, Salford University and published online via the Theatre, Dance and Performance Training Blog, September 2017
- ‘Finding Play: The Rhythms of Play in Actor Training and Performance’ at the 3rd International Conference of Dalcroze Studies, Universite Laval, Quebec City, August 2017
- ‘Rhythm and the Ecstatic Performer’ @ Rhythm as Pattern and Variation : Political, Social and Artistic Inflections – Goldsmiths University London 23 March 2016
- ‘Rhythm in Improvisation Based Actor Training’ @ Theatre Seminars Series, Glasgow University 25 February 2016.
- ‘The Rhythmic Actor: (en)training through proto-musical technologies’ @ European Theatre Research Network Spring Research Season, University of Kent, January 2013.
- ‘Dancing Fractal Time‘. In: Encountering Synchronous Time @ Performance Studies international Cluster, Athens, November 2011.
- ‘Evolving Relationships: Rhythms of an Ensemble’, @ Encountering Ensemble Symposium, University of Huddersfield, September 2010.
- ‘Sources of Rhythm: An Anthropocosmic Enquiry‘, @ Grotowski: After – Alongside – Around – Ahead, symposium, University of Kent, June 2009.
- Via Rhythmós. Unpublished PhD Thesis. The University of Huddersfield. Completed March 2013